Philadelphia, PA - The best apple crisp recipe combines sweet and tart flavors with a crisp buttery topping. Here's a simple yet delicious recipe:
- Six large apples (preferably Granny Smith or Honeycrisp), peeled and sliced
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream for serving (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease a baking dish with butter or cooking spray.
- Combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a large bowl. Stir well.
- Pour the melted butter over the dry mixture and mix until crumbly.
- Spread the sliced apples evenly in the baking dish. Sprinkle the crumble mixture over the apples.
- Bake for approximately 3540 minutes or until the apples are tender and the topping is golden brown.
- Allow the apple crisp to cool for a few minutes before serving. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream if desired.
- Mixing different apple varieties can add complexity to the flavor.
- Adjust the sugar and spices according to your preference.
- Add a handful of chopped nuts or dried fruits to the topping for extra texture.
- Substitute some of the butter with coconut oil or use half whole wheat flour for a healthier version.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. Reheat before serving.
Enjoy the delightful combination of warm apples and crunchy topping with this delicious apple crisp recipe!