The Wildwoods - Wildwood, New Jersey, is considered one of the top vacation destinations on the East Coast. The city was founded during the late 1800s and almost immediately became a popular tourist destination with numerous hotels featuring their doo-wop style of architecture.
Little Known Facts About The Wildwoods New Jersey
But most vacationers flock to Wildwood for their world-famous boardwalk—Known for its family-friendly attractions and all the typical trappings of a modern beachfront community. Below are a few little-known facts about this iconic South Jersey Shore town.
- Morey's Piers is one of the most popular attractions. Featuring more than a hundred amusement park rides and attractions, including roller coasters, the tallest Ferris wheel on the east coast.
- Wildwood has hosted the annual New Jersey State Fireman's Convention, Since 1970.
- Before being incorporated in 1912, the island was a New Jersey borough known as Holly Beach City.
- The island's high school teams are known as the Wildwood Warriors.
- A Tramcar that runs the entire length of the boardwalk that connects North Wildwood to Wildwood was established in the early 1950s.
- The boardwalk stretches along the Atlantic Ocean and even has a small chapel that holds nightly services for travelers to the area during the summertime.
- Singer Bobby Rydell gained notoriety for singing Wildwood Days which has become the unofficial anthem of The Wildwoods.
- The Wildwoods claimed to be one of the birthplaces of rock and roll and was the first place where Bill Haley & His Comets performed what is widely thought to be the first rock and roll song, Rock Around the Clock.
- One of the largest and most famous Ultimate Frisbee beach tournaments is held every year on the waterfront of Wildwood, New Jersey.
Wildwood, New Jersey, is honestly one of the Northeast's vacation treasures. With just one visit to this Atlantic Ocean community, it is easy to see why Wildwood has maintained its high level of popularity with vacationers for more than one hundred years.
The city offers a great mix of nostalgia and modern tourist attractions and features, in a way that will surely satisfy anyone lucky enough to plan a trip there shortly.
Wildwood, New is one of the best places to travel to on the entire East Coast. The city has plenty of fun for everyone. In fact, many families decide to return to Wildwood year after year.