PHILADELPHIA, PA – Philadelphia’s Office of Homeless Services has declared the third Code Blue of the winter season effective January 4 at 8pm until further notice to prevent weather related deaths among people experiencing homelessness during dangerously cold temperatures.
Homeless Services issues a Code Blue emergency warning when the National Weather Service predicts wind chill temperatures of 20 degrees Fahrenheit or below, or precipitation with temperatures below 32 degrees Fahrenheit.
During a Code Blue, the city’s homeless outreach teams increase staffing and foot patrols throughout the city and transports homeless people directly to shelter 24 hours a day. Also, during a Code Blue, Philadelphia Police are authorized to transport homeless people to a shelter.
City officials urge concerned citizens who see a person living on the street to call Homeless Outreach at 215-232-1984 and report the sighting. Homeless outreach teams are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Snow Day Places to Eat and Drink in Philly
- 5 New Restaurants to Open in University City Neighborhood
- Graffito Works 2017: Melt/Carve/Forge: Embodied Sculptures by Cassils
- Historic Philadelphia Trail Guide
- Sugar House Will Sponsor the New Year’s Day Mummers Parade Through 2020