Philadelphia, PA - Franklin Square, initially one of five open-space designed by William Penn as he laid out the city of Philadelphia, in 1682. Initially named North East Public Square, Franklin Square ended up being renamed in 1825 to recognize Benjamin Franklin, one of the Founding Fathers of the United States.
Philly's Franklin Square
The Square is located in Center City, in between North 6th and 7th Streets, and Race Street and the Vine Street near the 1-676 Expressway.
During its early beginnings, the Square was frequently utilized for animal grazing, stockpiling of gunpowder during the American Revolution as well as drilling soldiers during the War of 1812.
In 1741, then-Governor Thomas Penn leased the Square to German Reformed Church. And, from 1741 to 1835, a part of the Square was utilized as a cemetery for the Church; still today a few of the graves remain to this day and are designated by a plaque.
During the 1820s, William Rush and Thomas Birch remodeled the park to reflect nature by creating a symmetrical walkway along with green areas.
These days, Tourists and Locals can take pleasure in the restored parks family-friendly attractions, along with its natural charm. Franklin Square today is restored back to its original plan and vision of William Penn's original design.