Philadelphia, PA - The Oval+ comes back to Eakins Oval, starting Friday, July 20, 2018, and this time it's going to be better than ever! The Fairmount Park Conservancy, in collaboration with Philadelphia Parks & Recreation & Mural Arts, PORT and Heads of State, is happy to announce that The Oval+ is expanding its footprint, even more, this year, extending the pop-up park from Eakins Oval down a portion of the Parkway.
With much more than 40 percent of guests saying they wished to see a lot more family-related events at The Oval+, this year's pop-up park is going to grow beyond the boundaries of Eakins Oval to completely transform the area into a grand promenade, along with the theme “More Park, More Play.”
The Oval+ season operates from July 20th to August 19th. It is available Wednesdays-Sundays from 11am-11pm.
The Oval+ will premier plenty of brand new, fun features, most notably:
- A pedestrian walkway down the Parkway will be closed
- A dazzling, 22,000-square-foot mural by Mural Arts and The Heads of State spanning Eakins Oval and the Parkway
- New play areas at The Oval+, including a misting pavilion, a ribbon pavilion, and other play structures
Favorites such as the beer garden Eakins Tavern will come back with a revolving line-up of food trucks. Every day will showcase free activities and events, most notably “Wellness Wednesdays,” “Arts & Culture Thursdays,” “Friday Food & Flicks,” “Game Day Saturdays,” and “Sunday Family Fundays.”
Throughout The Oval+ season, the outbound outer lanes (north side of the Parkway) is going to close to vehicular traffic between 20th and Art Museum Drive. However, the north-south numbered cross streets will stay available to traffic. The bicycle lane is going to continue to be in service.
From July 5-August 26, automobile traffic is going to reroute in the following ways:
- The outbound outer lanes (north side of the Parkway will be closed to vehicles between 20th street and Art Museum Drive;
- The outbound Parkway bike lane will remain open;
- N. 20th St., N. 21st St., and N. 22nd St. will remain open;
- Vine St. traffic will direct to the Parkway inner lanes or to make a right onto 20th street