Philadelphia, PA - Concerned About Your Immune System? Body aches, a fever, chills, as well as nasal congestion, are all signs or symptoms of the flu virus and will stop you in your tracks, causing you to be bedridden for days.
5 Ways to Boost Your Immune System
“Complications arising from these illnesses can become serious,” says Dr. Suhyun An, (drsuhyunan.com) co-author of Demystifying Stem Cells: A Real-Life Approach To Regenerative Medicine.
Dr. An claims there are steps you can take to prevent the symptoms from getting too severe. To feel better and get back on your feet, she proposes several natural cold and flu treatments to relieve your symptoms.
Try These 5 Natural Remedies
- Vitamin C - several studies suggest that Vitamin C can reduce the lifespan of a cold plus boost the immune system. “The best way to get it is through your diet; the fresher the food, the better,” Dr. An says. “Oranges, limes, lemons, grapefruits, leafy greens, and bell peppers are good sources of vitamin C, although supplements may lead to upset stomach and kidney stones.”
- Honey - Offers organic antiviral in addition to antimicrobial properties. “Drinking honey in tea with lemon can ease sore throat pain,” Dr. An says. “Research indicates that honey can be an effective cough suppressant, as well. Honey commonly contains Clostridium bacteria, therefore never give honey to a child younger than 1-year-old because infants’ immune systems won't be in a position to fight them off.”
- Chicken soup - This well-known cold and flu home remedy helps given that hot liquids lessen mucus buildup as well as keeping you hydrated. “Chicken soup, in particular, contains anti-inflammatory properties, which help minimize a cold’s annoying side effects,” Dr. An says. “Keep some in the freezer or even a few cans in the pantry for flu season. It is quick to prepare that way and wonderful to eat.”
- Aromas - “When you have congestion from the flu, using camphor or menthol salve near your nose can assist in tp break up,” Dr. An says. “Aromatherapy oils, like peppermint and eucalyptus, have a similar result. Additionally, vapor rub can possibly reduce cold symptoms, particularly in children older than 2 years. It helps open air passages to overcome congestion, reduce coughing, as well as improve sleep. It’s a great alternative to over-the-counter cold medicines in young children because of unwanted side effects.”
- Probiotics - These are helpful bacteria plus yeast found in the human body, various foods, as well as supplements. “They can help keep your gut and immune system healthy, and may reduce your chance of getting sick with an upper respiratory infection,” Dr. An says. “For a delicious and nutritious source of helpful bacteria, incorporate probiotic yogurt as part of your diet.”
“Colds and also the flu are threats to us each, and every year, nevertheless, they do not have to bring us down for long,” Dr. An says. “Natural homemade remedies can easily shorten symptoms so you can be more at ease and get the rest you'll need to feel much healthier faster.”