Philadelphia, PA - The Little Lion in Old City District (243 Chestnut Street], has a look one can only say is “Modern Colonial” and a menu that will inspire your patriotic side. Owners Chris Younge and Jason Dills orchestrated a perfect environment for dinning and events in this upscale newly renovated yet colonial establishment.
We were fortunate enough to sample some of their fine creations Thursday. Let’s taste the Chocolate Carmel Pretzel Latte (whipped cream, chocolate drizzle, chocolate and crushed pretzel pretzel rim, chocolate dipped pretzel). Just look at this tantalizing little cup of deliciousness and indulge. The Brown Sugar Chai Latte (whipped cream, cinnamon, nutmeg, cinnamon stick)had quite the decadent taste as well.
With a top-notch breakfast full of wonderful selections I highly recommend the Red Velvet French Toast. This comes filled with a cheesecake stuffing and raspberry maple syrup that’s just awesome.
Their Cornbread ‘Hoecakes’ are a must try as well with a maple butter and honey drizzle that’s just so satisfying. So if you are off to see the New Museum of the American Revolution or just happen to be walking in old city, make sure your feet point toward this charming restaurant right on the corner of 3rd and Market.
The Little Lion's new breakfast a la carte menu will include:
- Farmers Omelet - roasted tomatoes, farmers cheese, sautéed kale $10
- Smoked Ham & Cheddar Quiche - pit ham, onion spread, cheddar cheese, breakfast potatoes $11
- Peanut Butter Granola - honey yogurt, peanut butter sauce, Chantilly cream $8
- Lion's Breakfast - Two eggs any style, choice of meat, toast, potatoes $10
- Smoked Salmon Benny - Two poached eggs, hollandaise, spicy breakfast potatoes $13
- Classic Benny - smoked pit ham, spicy breakfast potatoes, hollandaise, English muffin $11
- Fried Green Tomato Benny - fried green tomato, hollandaise, spicy breakfast potatoes $11
- Lion Salad - peach vinaigrette, carrot, radish, cucumber, heirloom tomato, spring mix $8
- Kale Caesar - baby kale, Caesar, cornbread croutons, grana padana $9
- Cornbread Hoecakes - honeycomb maple butter, honey $12
- Short Rib Hash - wild mushrooms, caramelized onions, IPA cheese sauce, poached egg $13
Pair breakfast with coffee from Peddler Coffee Roasters. A new coffee bar menu includes standard selections, plus sweet new twists on coffee, latte and hot cocoa:
- S'mores Hot Cocoa - whipped cream, chocolate drizzle, chocolate bar, honey graham, toasted marshmallows
- Maple Butter Hoecake Latte - whipped cream, maple syrup drizzle, maple butter, brown sugar syrup, mini corn hoecake, cinnamon and nutmeg
- Brown Sugar Chai Latte - whipped cream, cinnamon, nutmeg, cinnamon stick
- Chocolate Caramel Pretzel Latte - whipped cream, chocolate drizzle, chocolate and crushed pretzel pretzel rim, chocolate dipped pretzel
- Peppermint Mocha - whipped cream, chocolate drizzle rim, peppermint sugar rim, peppermint patty
"What an exciting time to be in Old City District," said co-owner Chris Younge. "We picked this location because we wanted to be front and center in celebrating our country's past - but also being part of the Historic District's exciting future. The corner of 3rd and Chestnut has gone through a complete transformation and we are thrilled to be part of that transformation. We couldn't be more excited to welcome our new neighbor, the Museum of the American Revolution."
As the Museum of the American Revolution prepares to officially open, The Little Lion prepares by extending its daily hours Monday through Sunday.
The Little Lion in Old City District (243 Chestnut Street) celebrates the opening of the Museum of the American Revolution with free mini corn hoecakes for ticketholders, 15% off food/drink with Museum membership, new weekday breakfast service and extended hours. The Little Lion will also support the Museum (that is located just 25 feet across the street) by firing up a special dish on the Museum's opening day - with 100% of proceeds being donated to the Museum. "Hamilton Steak" is one of several dishes inspired by the American Revolution being offered by an Old City restaurant during the Museum launch. Heading to The Little Lion also just got easier with the addition of a brand new Phlash stop at 3rd and Chestnut, right outside Little Lion's doors.