Wayne, PA - Teresa’s Café (124 North Wayne Avenue, Wayne, PA 19087) Established in September 1997 by Owner Michael Ellis, Teresa’s Café is a casual suburban restaurant serving traditional Italian comfort foods in a laid-back Main Line setting. Chef-Owner Andy Dickerson’s thoughtful menu includes both contemporary and modern takes on the classics, including pizzas, pastas and large plates; the addition of a full bar brought an extensive list of wines, craft beers, distilled spirits and barrel-aged cocktails to the table.
In June 2007, Ellis and Dickerson partnered to open Teresa’s Next Door, expanding Philadelphia’s thriving gastropub scene to the suburbs. Located steps from the Wayne train station, Teresa’s Next Door features a wood-burning grill; Chef Dickerson’s Belgian-inspired menu pays homage to the top-notch fermentation program, helmed by Beverage Director Chris Peters. The restaurant offers 27 beers, along with seven ciders, one mead and one gluten-free beer, all on draught, complemented by a diverse list of natural and biodynamic wines and more than 350 whiskies.
Philadelphia magazine has awarded Teresa’s coveted “Best of Philly” nods five times: for Best Beer List (2014), Best Whisky Bar (2014), Best Chicken Wings (2010), Best Beer Bar (2008) and Best Wine List For A Beer Bar (2013. The Philadelphia Inquirer’s Craig LaBan wrote that “Teresa’s Next Door is more than a curious social scene. It is the serious beer venue the Main Line has been needing...[for] the Belgian traditionalists, the mussels are also expertly done. Plump and sweet, they are available in a range of zippy flavors.” In 2014 and 2015, DRAFT magazine included Teresa’s on their list of the “100 Best Beer Bars in America,” and RateBeer has named them among their “Top 100” in the world. Locally, they have garnered critical acclaim and awards from The Main Line Times and Main Line Today for both their food and beverage programs.
Specials and Events:
This April and May, Teresa’s Café (124 North Wayne Avenue, Wayne, PA 19087) will host top winemakers, craft brewers and whisky distillers in a fun series of booze-driven happy hours, dinners and parties.
“As we prepare to celebrate our milestone 20th anniversary, we’re offering our loyal customers a variety of whisky tastings, wine dinners and beer collaborations perfect for the warmer weather,” says Beverage Director Chris Peters, who hosts their popular Sundays with Chris series, inviting guests to enjoy a private whisky, beer or wine tasting (by reservation only; call 610-293-9909 to schedule). “Teresa’s is one of the best places to imbibe in the suburbs, and the truth is, our lists compete with the best bars and restaurants in Philadelphia.”
Already known throughout the area for their top-notch beverage programs, Owner Michael Ellis and Chef-Owner Andy Dickerson have earned national recognition for their extensive list of rare beers, as well as their unparalleled selection of natural and biodynamic wines and forward-thinking selection of global whiskies.
Thanks to a recent change in Pennsylvania liquor laws, Teresa’s can now offer their natural and biodynamic wines to go. Weekly, they feature wines during $20 Monday: guests receive $20 off any bottle on the list, all night long.
Other upcoming wine events and tastings will include:
- · Monday, April 24 6 p.m. until 8 p.m. Wine Dinner with Selections de la Vina
- o Alvaro de la Vina will guide guests through a tasting of six fine Spanish wines, paired with five courses of food. This special meal is $85 per person, and must be reserved in advance.
- · Saturday, April 29 2 p.m. until 4 p.m. Wine Retail Party
- o Sample a selection of wines, all available by the bottle to go, before making a selection. Wine Retail Parties will be held on the last Saturday of every month.
- · Friday, May 5 through Sunday, May 7 all weekend long First Funky Wine Weekend
- o On the first weekend of every month, offers their most interesting wines by the glass. Check their website and social media for updates on what will pour each month.
Whisky events and tastings in April and May will include:
· Every Night 11 p.m. until 12 midnight 11th Hour Happy Hour
- o Sample and select $3 beers, $4 whisky pours and $5 wines every night.
- · Wednesday, April 19 7 p.m. until 9 p.m. Scotch Whisky Dinner with Dewar’s
- o Brand Ambassador Colin Appiah will feature distilleries Royal Brackla, Deveron, Aultmore, Criagellachie and Aberfeldy. Tickets are $85 per person, and must be purchased in advance.
- · Thursday, April 20 throughout the day Whisky Thursday
- o This ongoing series features curated flights and tastings from the world’s most innovative distilleries. Check their website and social media for updates on other weekly themes.
- · Friday, April 21 6 p.m. until 8 p.m. Tasting with Buffalo Trace
- o Enjoy bourbons from both of Teresa’s own Buffalo Trace barrels, as well as their Ridgemont 1792 barrel, with host Meredith Maciolek. Featured whiskies will be showcased both in the cocktails and cuisine for the evening.
- · Thursday, May 18 6 p.m. until 8 p.m. Non-Age Statement Whisky
- o Part of their Whisky Thursday series, Teresa’s will highlight non-age statement whiskies from around the world that perfectly balance youth and maturity.
- · Saturday, May 20 1 p.m. until 3 p.m. World Whisky Day Pairing
- o Hosted by Whisky Ambassador Jason Parsons, this food-and-whisky pairing is $75 per person (available by reservation only) and will explore tasting notes, history and stories from a variety of top global distilleries.
Teresa’s has long been a pioneer in craft beer, bringing some of the coolest and trendiest breweries from around the globe to the Main Line. Russian River, Fantome, Wicked Weed, SingleCut, Hitachino Nest, Almanac, Brasserie Dupont, Cantillon and De la Senne routinely pour from their taps, and some are available for takeout in 32-oz. growlers. They have also partnered with local and world-class brewers on three signature beers: Troegs’ barrel-aged Flying Mouflan and Trogenator in exclusive Knob Creek Whisky barrels, and friends from three continents (Freigeist of Germany, 2Cabecas of Brazil) Eau du Janeiro, a collaboration made in Germany.
Beer events and tastings in April and May will include:
· Thursday, April 6 6 p.m. until 8 p.m. Darin McGregor from Epic Brewing Comes to Wayne
- o Epic Brewing, Salt Lake City, UT and Denver, CO, will sample rare brews like Big Bad Baptist, Brainless on Peaches, Escape to Colorado IPA, Tart N’ Juicy Sour IPA and Hopulent IPA on Nitro
- · Sunday, April 9 6 p.m. until 9 p.m. Hitachino Visits from Japan
- o Teresa’s will host Youichi of Hitachino Nest to sample their most rare and special beers. Chef Andy Dickerson will prepare a special pairing menu to complement the brews.
- · Sunday, April 30 6 p.m. until 8 p.m. Wheels of Wayne and Firestone Walker Race Day
- o Firestone Walker will create a race track for remote-control cars on North Wayne Avenue to celebrate annual “Wheels of Wayne” car show; winner will receive a case of Firestone Walker.
- · Friday, May 26 6 p.m. until 8 p.m. La Trappe and Teresa’s Pay It Forward
- o To honor the Trappist monk tradition of making beer for charity, La Trappe Brand Ambassador Anthony Van Hecke will pour select brews, with all proceeds donated to the Kyle Ambrogi Foundation, a local charity.