Philadelphia, PA - Take a stroll down Center City's 12th and Samson street, and you're sure to find several great restaurants, unique shops. But just a few blocks down from the tourist hang-outs like the Hard Rock Cafe and Reading Terminal Market lies Jake's Sandwich Board and BBQ sandwich heaven in the heart of Philadelphia.
Over the past few years, Philly's BBQ scene is starting to make its mark in the city of Hoagies, Cheesesteaks, and Roast Pork. At Jake's, they focus on sandwiches, inspired by the city's deep foodie history but with a BBQ twist. Like the classic Philly Cheesesteak - Jake's Way (a cheesesteak made with brisket), Jake's has something for everyone, including some vegan options, Because sometimes you need veggies in your life.
Jake's focus is on fresh; they slow-roasts their meats overnight, veggies are roasted every morning, bread is baked in South Philly daily, and all sandwiches are served on the spot!
Jake's Menu Options
The Briskets Sandwiches - House roasted, hand-carved. This is brisket for brisket lovers.
- The Mensch - Slow-roasted brisket, horseradish spread, caramelized onions, and mild provolone.
- Steak & Egg - Slow-roasted brisket, Sriracha ketchup, & a sunny-side-up egg.
- Bar-B-Q - Slow-roasted brisket, house BBQ sauce, mild provolone, and caramelized onions.
- Jake's Cheeseburger - Instead of a typical burger patty, we use our house-roasted brisket (hand carved, not in patty form), Sriracha ketchup, cheddar cheese, caramelized onions, and fried pickles.
- Jake's Cheesesteak - Unlike a classic cheesesteak, we use our slow-roasted brisket and add mild provolone and caramelized onions. It's Jake's take on a cheesesteak!
The Pork Sandwichs - House roasted, pulled, and chopped pork.
- 50/50 - 1/2 pulled and chopped slow-roasted pork, 1/2 bacon, Sriracha spread, and sharp provolone. The 50/50 won a Best of Philly award in 2012!
- Barnyard - Pulled and chopped slow-roasted pork with roasted garlic spread, sharp provolone, arugula, crushed chili, and cracklings.
- Classic Pork - Pulled and chopped slow-roasted pork with sharp provolone and broccoli rabe.
- BBQ Pork - Pulled and chopped slow-roasted pork, BBQ sauce, coleslaw, and fried pickles.
- 100/100 - Based on our award-winning 50/50 sandwich, the 100/100 is 2ft and 5lbs of slow-roasted pork, bacon, and cheese. The perfect sandwich to share with friends. **Must order 24 hrs in advance**
The Turkey Sandwiches - House-roasted and pulled turkey.
- Village Turkey - House-roasted and pulled turkey, black cherry spread, bacon, and baby arugula.
- Skinny Turkey - House-roasted and pulled turkey, roasted veggies, and baby spinach.
- Midtown Turkey - House-roasted and pulled turkey, avocado puree, roasted veggies, and pickled red onions.
The Veggies - Because sometimes you need veggies in your life.
Center City Philadelphia's Cheesesteak Guide - Here in Philly, cheesesteaks are a civic icon, a tourist draw, and a cultural obsession. Often imitated around the world, the cheesesteak is rarely duplicated successfully outside of Philadelphia. Here are PhillyBite's and Visit Philly's List of top center city cheesesteak locations.
South Philadelphia Cheesesteak Guide - Here in Philly, cheesesteaks are a civic icon, a tourist draw, and a cultural obsession. Often imitated around the world, the cheesesteak is rarely duplicated successfully outside of Philadelphia. Here are a few of the best South Philly cheesesteak locations.
- Farmers Market - Roasted vegetables, balsamic dressing, and cheddar cheese. Vegan? We can make it without the cheese too!
- Crunchy N' Hot - House-roasted vegetable medley, garlic spread, mild provolone, and a crunchy long-hot.
- Hypocrite - 1/2 house-roasted veggies, 1/2 bacon, marinara, and mild provolone. (Read: NOT vegetarian...but for the wannabe vegetarian that can't let go of bacon).
Don't Forget The Sides: Fries, Fried Pickles, Crunchy Onions, Jakes version of onion rings, without the rings!, Potato Pancakes, Roasted Long-Hots, Mixed Basket, French Fries, and Crunchy Onions,Farm Fries Sharp provolone, house-roasted turkey, and turkey gravy on top of fries!
So next time you're in the area, stop into one of Jake's two locations in Center City: 122 S 12th St. (12th and Sansom, Philly) or the University City: 125 S 40th St. (40th and Sansom, Philly)
The Best of Philadelphia's Ginormous Foods - Are you searching for enormous foods in Philly? How about The Whale, a 14-pound bagel leviathan brimming with smoked salmon and whitefish salad at Spread Bagelry or the 9-pound superhero sandwich, a pile-up of bacon, pork, and cheese at Jake's Sandwich Board. Finish things off with the Car 23, a trolley-shaped loaf of French toast stuffed with berries and cream cheese at the Trolley Car Diner.