Scary Scotcheroo Treats - Perfect Halloween treats.
1 cup Karo® Light OR Dark Corn Syrup
1 cup sugar
1 cup creamy peanut butter
6 cups crispy rice cereal
1-1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1-1/2 cups butterscotch chips
Candies for decorating
Frosting OR melted white chocolate for decorating
- Cook corn syrup and sugar together in a large pan over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Bring mixture to a boil. Remove from heat. Stir in peanut butter; mix well. Add cereal; stir until evenly coated.
- Pour into greased 15 x 10-inch pan and pat into place.
- Melt chocolate and butterscotch chips together in saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly. Spread over cereal.
- Cool at least 45 minutes, or until firm. Cut into bars or fun shapes for Halloween. If desired, pipe frosting to form Halloween shapes or words.
- Cool Cats (pictured on plate): Cut circles using a 2 to 3-inch biscuit cutter. Attach candies with a dab of melted white chocolate or frosting to make eyes, nose and ears. Pipe on whiskers with frosting.
- Creepy Webs: Cut circles as above. Tint frosting orange. Starting at the center, pipe continuous spiral circles to edge. Drag the tip of a wooden pick from the center to the edge of the bar to create a spider web design.
- Mummies: Cut circles as above. Drizzle or pipe white frosting back and forth horizontally and finish with two candy eyes.
- Tombstones: Cut into bars, cutting off upper corners diagonally. Pipe frosting to make shapes or words on each “tombstone.” TIP: Tombstones will easily stand upright if the bottom of each is coated with frosting.
- Angry Orchard's New Hard Cider Walden Hollow
- Parents Guide to Halloween Candy and Tooth Decay
- Recipes 101: Creepy Mini Pizzas