Show your affection with a plate of colorful Cocoa-Kissed Red Velvet Pancakes featuring rich 100% cocoa, buttermilk and fresh berries. Take heart-shaped cookie cutters out of hibernation for a special touch
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Baking Cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup reduced-fat buttermilk or lowfat milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring
- Heart-shaped pancake cutters or cookie cutters (optional)
- Optional garnishes: butter, powdered sugar, maple syrup and fresh berries
DirectionsCOMBINE flour, sugar, baking cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl; stir well.
WHISK egg, buttermilk, butter, vanilla extract and food coloring together in large bowl. Add to flour mixture; stir to combine. Allow mixture to sit for 5 minutes (this produces more tender pancakes).
HEAT nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat. Brush with a little oil or butter. Add about ¼ cup batter to skillet. Cook for about 2 minutes or until bubbles start to form on top. Flip and cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until bottom is lightly browned. Serve immediately with butter, powdered sugar, syrup and berries.
Cook’s Tip: If using pancake or cookie cutters, be sure to coat with a little oil so the pancakes don’t stick. Place cutters in skillet and pour batter into cutters. Remove cutters before flipping.