Philadelphia, PA - Show your affection with a plate of colorful Cocoa-Kissed Red Velvet Pancakes featuring rich 100% cocoa, buttermilk, and fresh berries. Take heart-shaped cookie cutters out of hibernation for a special touch
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Baking Cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup reduced-fat buttermilk or low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring
- Heart-shaped pancake cutters or cookie cutters (optional)
- Optional garnishes: butter, powdered sugar, maple syrup, and fresh berries
DirectionsCombine the flour, sugar, baking cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl; stir well.
Whisk the egg, buttermilk, butter, vanilla extract, and food coloring together in a large bowl. Add to flour mixture; stir to combine. Allow mixture to sit for 5 minutes (this produces more tender pancakes).
Heat a nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat. Brush with a little oil or butter. Add about ¼ cup batter to the skillet. Cook for about 2 minutes or until bubbles start to form on top. Flip and cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until the bottom is lightly browned. Serve immediately with butter, powdered sugar, syrup, and berries.
Cook’s Tip: If using pancake or cookie cutters, be sure to coat with a little oil so the pancakes don’t stick. Place cutters in a skillet and pour batter into cutters. Remove cutters before flipping.